Monday, April 23, 2012

Deeply Humbled


Most of the time, people worry too much that they tend to not see the blessings that they already have. We often take them for granted and when I think about it, it's quite sad because we can do so much if we share those blessings to others. Being blessed feels good, but to be a blessing to others feels so much better.

I have been involved with several feeding programs lately and each time I go to such programs, I am always reminded of how blessed I am. Seeing the people and hearing their life stories always humble me, for in spite of everything that is going through with their lives, they never cease to put a smile on their lovely faces and they are always thankful for just being alive. It also makes me feel that my worries are nothing compared to theirs.

I visited our program again today and got to mingle with some parents and their children. Most of these children range from being undernourished to being severely undernourished. Other cases also involve children with special needs. (One reason why I took up psychology is so that I could be able to understand them better.)

One of the children I had the pleasure of meeting was Alex, 6 years of age, and has cerebral palsy. Before the feeding program started a few months ago, his father mentioned that Alex couldn't walk by himself and was sickly. But a month since the program, he was already able to see some improvement in Alex's health. Now, 3 months have passed and the change is remarkable. Alex is already capable of making baby steps. To be able to hear his father and see such development for myself filled my heart with joy.

Here is a pic of me with Alex (He's wondering who I am.. hahaha)


I also tried to play with the other children but due to our language barrier it was kind of difficult. Still, I tried to talk to them and play with them. Those are moments I will treasure for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment